From the church we visited the cemetery. Family plots are built within square compounds with gates. The Ambal plot was well kept and beautiful. From the cemetery it was back to the Ambal home where all the family and friends came to celebrate, another service and the mirienda (sp) - basically another food fest and, yes, I am getting adventuresome and trying some things. Dr. Singson's brother's just laugh at me and wait for my reaction to the food.
We worked in the afternoon getting together the gift bags for the Drs., volunteers and family. The Dr. and I put together 80 of them and she still had stuff to spare. We also got the toys for the little ones ready. Remember, there is no air conditioning except in the bedrooms so you can guess where I retired right after that session. That respite didn't last long as we went in a jeepny ride to view the school where the clinic will be held. I loved the open air ride and it was cool - this because it had rained that morning.
The clinic area is like a shelter, with no walls - only bigger. The dentists will be on the stage, the triage and general medicine will be on the main floor, the pharmacy (I will now call Matadang Mareta's Pharmacia) is in one of the classrooms and the surgery will be in another. They will be doing extractions on the stage for all to see - thank goodness the circumsicions will be behind closed doors.
My tour didn't end there, we then went to the Dr. Ambals chicken farm - eye opening. It was huge, buildings held 36,000 chickens and there were more than 10 of those buildings. There we saw how the production of eggs occurred. It is all automated - each building is run by two men - the feeding, watering and of course the eggs - they roll down this conveyor belt into little prongs and are circulated into a bin where the men pack them into crates. From there they are loaded on trucks and returned to the compound for cleaning, sorting and distribution. Nothing goes to waste here - the dung (for lack of a better word) is hauled away to another building and made into fertilizer. The hills were really little mountains and amazing there stood all the goats. There were growing houses, 4 mos until they are ready to produce, and homes for the workers and a dining room - everything. It was quite a production.
We arrived home to locked compound gates and that is when I realized that we are guarded at night by men at the gate. Did I mention there is also two huge pools on this property - which no one told me about as I wilted in the heat. One for the little ones, one for the whales (that would be me.) At any rate, I know where I am heading after the mission today. Has to beat the darn shower which I can't figure out and which I am amazed I can deal with the cold water. Last night I said the hell with it and just used the huge ladle to dump the cold water on me.
OK - it is breakfast time - we are going to leave at 6am this morning. I am seeing so much - I guess what has touched me the most is how this Filipino family is so close and truly enjoys each other. I did mention that all of this laughter and unity revolves around FOOD and their trying to get me to eat it all. The generosity of the Drs. Singson is also amazing and humbles me.
To my Bob, you would be loving the food, not the heat. I wish you were here with me experiencing all this stuff. Love to all family and friends - Kuya Smitty and Kuya Robin (ohhh, I love these phrases I am learning) you will be amazed at what our dad did to get to us. In my heart, Sharon I think of you every day.
Mareta
PS - Here is their grapefruit - they peel it and eat. It is very sweet, not like the ones in the states.
Loving it Mom--keep it coming! Wish I could see pics of the compound. I can't believe all that will be going on for the medical mission in the school. I am assuming school is out during summer? Or how does that work there? Good luck with the big days ahead--how good you will feel seeing all those you will help--especially the little ones like Kat-kat. Love you--Lish
ReplyDeleteAnd I believe "kuja" is spelled KUYA--isn't it? Check with them:) Lish
ReplyDelete--wanted to upload pics to Kat's blog--forgot password--if can reply to this
Hi Lish, You are right about Kuya. I will fix that. Password is Robie916. On break going back right now. Love ya, Mom
ReplyDeleteWhat your missing back home:
ReplyDelete1. Brewers have won 3 straight games and are 7.5 games out of the Wild Card.
2. Elles first day of school
3. Brad
4. 37 degree weather in the morning today.
Hi Brad, Hope Elle's first day of school was good. Today was All Heroes Day and the kids were off of school, so a good day to host this medical clinic. 37 degrees???? I am melting here. Love you, Mom
ReplyDeleteOh, yes. You are really into this big time. I can't believe you can stand the heat when we have been unusually cold. These pics are copying really well. What a great thing they do for their people. I am so glad you are experiencing this. I hope you will be able to continue as you move on. Love, Sue
ReplyDeleteHi Mareta: Looks like you are having a great time. I don't envy the heat though. Your Brad is hilarious. (Things you are missing at home - Brad??? ) What a guy. I don't know about the food though !! Ha Ha Hope you don't come back to skinny !! Pictures are great. Keep them coming. Love Alice
ReplyDeleteHey my Mom I bet is missing my humorous comments. Brewers didn't lose yesterday, well they didn't play. Elle had a great day at school. We miss you. I am so glad you are experiencing this. Pictures look great. Love, Brad
ReplyDelete