Arrived in the Philippines at 4am completely refreshed and ready to start the day. To Alicia and Dustin - the space between my seat and the seat in front of me had to be 5 ft. Now you know why I was refreshed. The seat converted totally to the horizontal position - enough said. No more Northwest for me.
Our first experience on the way to San Jose, Bantagas - the car stopped on the highway. Within minutes - thank goodness as the heat was oppressive - the highway police arrived and the tow truck was there. It looked like a parade stopped at the side of the road. A man stopped, fixed it and within 10 minutes we were back on the road. That wouldn't happen in the US.
The Ambal compound is immense. You are welcomed in a huge courtyard with beautiful plants. The doors and windows are all open and the place is immense. I was greeted as one of the family - and as I found out as the day progressed, it is a huge one. There were people coming and going all day and they all brought food, hugs and laughter. In the midst of all of this we unpacked all the Balikbayan boxes that were sent from the states. Dr. Ambal's living room is HUGE and it accommodated all of boxes, 20+ people and the grandchildren riding their bikes and playing in the midst of all of this.
Food - so much I cannot even describe. Bob would be proud. I have tried Vegan sausage, the local coffee (which is really hot chocolate and potent), pork, various rice cakes, etc. All of this while one of the young house girls is fanning the flies away.
Dr. Ambal runs an egg operation from the compound. This is the area where the eggs are getting ready for shipment to various restaurants (like McDonalds). There are two shipments at day, one happens at 4am. This is a 24/7 operation.
By 8 pm we were still not finished and I was exhausted. I had to retire. I know that the family continued to socialize after I retired, but my eyes just wouldn't stay open. It is a combination of the heat - no air and humid and jet lag. Plus, the bedroom has air and it was good.
I am now working on getting my hair done, adjusting to a cold shower and today I vow to do better with the heat. They are having a special mass for Drs sister Myrna today and after the family again join at the compound, for guess now, more food.
The best part, I am seeing and experiencing more than I could imagine and I have already been here one day. I am like one of the family and they are loving having me try new things and meet new people. Mission starts tomorrow - I am the pharmacist - I know, I know.
Love to all of you and get some air conditioning for me.
PS - Irwin has just told me that my blog should be Mahal Na Bansa
Mareta- I love the pic of the plane! I am so glad to hear you are safe and happy. it truly sounds like you have already "found" family with your hosts and friends. That is a wonderful thing. Keep eating:) Love you. Anne
ReplyDeleteWe are so happy you arrived safe and sound. Funny how we learn to look at things through a different lens, isn't it? I will add the pics to my collection and try to get them scrapped for you. Keep safe and healthy. Love, Sue
ReplyDeleteMom! So glad you were able to already log on--Kat and I have been checking the blog obsessively! Each time we would look and say, "Where Gramma?" Kat would put her hands out to say "where?" We were so excited to see pictures already and read about your first adventure--your stomach must have just dropped when the car died! I guess you gained trust early that you would be taken care of by your people! The eggs--how interesting. So does the compound have a farm or what? Tell me about the home, what it's like, what the surrounding area is like...I am so happy to hear that they are taking care of you as family. I just wish I could see it all and experience it. What is unique about the family dynamic and values there? We are thinking of you every second! Oh, what a journey--and more to come. Did your upset stomach go away yet? Remember to drink a lot of fluids so you don't run into the trouble I did! Keep taking those pics and sharing.
ReplyDeleteKat is doing better--fevers are reducing, less conjestion, and appetite a bit increased. She is "talking" even more as her ears are probably a bit better day by day. She loves you! Love you too! Can't wait to hear more, Mom! Lish and Katrina
Glad you made it safely Mom. I will save these pictures and have Kate make a scrapbook for you. Love you, Brad Elle kate
ReplyDelete