I would see these type of settlements along the rivers.
Once out of Manila you could see the terrain change. I am so happy that I am having the opportunity to see the Philippines in this way. There were carabao, water buffalo grazing at the side of the road, sugar cane and the rice fields. It was so interesting to see the people drying the rice on the road, in their driveways. It is called palay and they rake it until it is dry and the shell disappears - then it is rice.
About three hours out I could see the mountains - the Sharra Madre range. Each of the barangay's were so different. There would be ones that had garlic, ones that had vinegar, the furniture craftsmen, the weavers, the lantern makers, the door carvers, bamboo beds and those that sold their fruits and vegetables. It is bare bones, depressing in fact, to see the little stalls and the people sitting around. The colors are drab and the wood and stalls are delapidated. There were the basketball hoops attached to trees and all the boys playing the game with flip flops.
There are tricyles (motorbikes with a sidecar attached) and jeepnys. There are people on the road all the time and as we sail by them I keep wondering if any of them ever get hit by the cars. Even the goats and carabao ignore us.
The homes are all surrounded by fences and within those fences are compounds. Most of the finer homes have maids, nanny's (angels) and drivers. I am told that if you have an income of more than $1000 a month you can afford all of this and live like a king.
As we get to the end of our journey we hit Ilocos Sur and see the China Sea. The roads in this area are horrendous - I am bumping all around in the back and yearning for the trip to end. As we enter Ilocos Norte you can see a huge difference in the roads - this is because this is the home province of the Marcos family and the roads are beautiful, wide and the homes are well kept. They have definitely become beloved to this province as it is a beautiful setting. It came to my mind that why would they want to leave here and go to Manila when there is so much more here.
After a 1o hour drive we arrived at Ft. Ilocandia. There is no one here - I mean no one and this is a huge complex. It is eerie. I am so excited for tomorrow I can hardly wait. Tonight I will get a good nights rest and be ready.
About three hours out I could see the mountains - the Sharra Madre range. Each of the barangay's were so different. There would be ones that had garlic, ones that had vinegar, the furniture craftsmen, the weavers, the lantern makers, the door carvers, bamboo beds and those that sold their fruits and vegetables. It is bare bones, depressing in fact, to see the little stalls and the people sitting around. The colors are drab and the wood and stalls are delapidated. There were the basketball hoops attached to trees and all the boys playing the game with flip flops.
There are tricyles (motorbikes with a sidecar attached) and jeepnys. There are people on the road all the time and as we sail by them I keep wondering if any of them ever get hit by the cars. Even the goats and carabao ignore us.
The homes are all surrounded by fences and within those fences are compounds. Most of the finer homes have maids, nanny's (angels) and drivers. I am told that if you have an income of more than $1000 a month you can afford all of this and live like a king.
As we get to the end of our journey we hit Ilocos Sur and see the China Sea. The roads in this area are horrendous - I am bumping all around in the back and yearning for the trip to end. As we enter Ilocos Norte you can see a huge difference in the roads - this is because this is the home province of the Marcos family and the roads are beautiful, wide and the homes are well kept. They have definitely become beloved to this province as it is a beautiful setting. It came to my mind that why would they want to leave here and go to Manila when there is so much more here.
After a 1o hour drive we arrived at Ft. Ilocandia. There is no one here - I mean no one and this is a huge complex. It is eerie. I am so excited for tomorrow I can hardly wait. Tonight I will get a good nights rest and be ready.
Sun setting over the China Sea



No comments:
Post a Comment