Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Waiting For Ramon

Chicharon Bulaklak send off

I was sent off by the Ambal family with chicharon bulaklak - I had to taste it and as usual, after I did they told me what I was eating. It was fried, dipped in vinegar, red chilis and coconut. It was intestines. The day also had me trying bilo bilo - rice tapioca made with coconut milk - tried it, didn't like it.
The ride to Manila met with traffic right outside the town. My favorite part was talking with Cesar Ambal's family and sharing stories. The road is fairly new and I loved the "lay by" sign (our rest areas). Next thing you need to know is that here I thought I was at the same hotel that Alicia, Dustin and I stayed at in March - and it could only happen to me - I wasn't. They wouldn't let me transfer without paying for the nights lodging, so I hopped in their courtesy car and made the 1km trip to this hotel. It is just as nice, just around the corner, still by all the shopping. I had to run out and get a new flatiron as I must have blew it out at the Ambal's.
I ate in the room - pizza, just needed a taste of something I didn't have to start sweating about and this morning I had the first hot shower in 5 days. (I would not give up one of those cold showers though as they were part of an experience that was the best in the whole wide world). Upstairs now to call the Hospicio (Alicia, all the presents are wrapped and I am ready to go), then call Ramon and he will put the order in for lunch for the Little Angels at Jollibee and then we are off.
Again, keep those fingers crossed - journey II is about to begin.
Mareta
PS to Bob - loved hearing your voice, miss you and can't wait to tell you all the things that have seen.

5 comments:

  1. Oh, I am just dying to hear about your Hospicio visit and CCS! The jollibee--oh to see them all eating that. I am wondering how many children you recognize from our time there? Katrina is now day 3 of sleeping in our bed--I know, I know mom, but she actually has developed a sleep apnea with her enlarged adenoids and tonsils--back to see the ENT doctor today to see what we can do. She does not sleep through anything with her poor breathing and cries because she is uncomfortable--my exhaustion and having no darn rocking chair in her room causes me to lug back to my bed and rock her sitting until she falls asleep--and then so do I. Ordered a rocker just yesterday in hopes to break this habit! Love you and can't wait for you to come home! Don't forget some sand and a shell person from Ilocos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What, where is the love for Brad, Kate, and Elle. Is this my mom on this blog? Intestines, give me another round please!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alicia, cancel your order on the rocker we have one for you. Why buy something you dont need? Sorry for the off the topic comment, ha ha

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mareta- Great job on this wonderful journal- Sounds like you are having a truly great trip and I can't wait to hear more about it. Stay safe and know you are loved back in WI!! Love you Mandi, Chuck and "the boys" :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well where in the world is the morning blog Mother!!!!

    ReplyDelete