
In the states if you are going white water rafting the car takes you up to the point of departure and then you raft down. Here in the Philippines you board your long boat at the bottom and then two men (I outweigh them both) paddle, push and pull (from here on out known as PPP - the Filipinos loved their acronyms) the boat up to that point and then you come back. That is how is was yesterday when I went to see Pagsanjan Falls.
I was told to bring a change of clothes and off we went. Passing through the towns of Calamba (the birthplace of Jose Rizal the Philippines national hero), Los Banos (where the hot springs are famous from being heated from the Makiling volcano (sleeping) and finally Laguna and Pagsanjan Falls.

Life vest, hard hat and we are off - again I am sharing the picture, this Filipino American should not wear hats of any kind.

A motorized long boat drags you down the river and then leaves you off at the beginning of the PPP. Along the way people are swimming, bathing, lounging and washing their clothes. The boatmen literally use their feet to push off the rocks to get up and drag you up the elevated portions.

They have put steel bars at those points when the water is low to aid them in this task. It was beautiful and at the end you were rewarded by the Falls. At that point you can decide if you want to get on a bamboo raft and go under the Falls to the cave within. Since this is an adventure that I will probably never do again I was game. Ramon, not so eager, but he went too. The water pelted you - you can imagine the force as it came down from the mountain - reason why we had the hard hat I guess. It was fun and though I was soaked I loved it - that was when I realized, hey, I didn't bring underwear.


The return trip down was easier and fun - we went at a great time as tons of Korean boats were on their way up. (There is an association for the boaters and the resorts call them from their waiting point to pick up their riders. There are bamboo rafts along the way where the government collects their fee - toll road on the river via a long poled net. Sometimes a boater may only be called once during the week so they rely heavily on any tip that you will give them for their hard work.)

Before returning to the hotel I asked to go to the US Military cemetery which was close to the hotel. It was the most beautiful place I have seen in downtown Manila. Pristine - look at the pictures and you will see what I mean.
So, I am packed, ready to eat breakfast and then Ramon will pick me up for my trip to Batangas and the start of getting ready for the mission. I am hopeful that the family will still have access to the internet so I can continue updating all of you on what is happening.
Love to all of you, thoughts for our dear Sharon, Mareta, Mom, Gramma
You are too fun Mom! And you drag Ramon into it, I love it! I read your post to all at the dinner table at Stir Crazy tonight. We love the pictures and cannot even imagine the views--so amazing. They are taking care of you it sounds and probably amazed at your adventurous spirit. Looking forward to more as always. To the zoo tomorrow as the weather may get to 60...ugh! Love Lish
ReplyDeleteLish - can't wait to tell you all about Hospicio and Concordia. I can see why you liked the later and to see Gemma there was a treat. I took lots of pics of the kids - maybe our next babae is there.
ReplyDeleteBob - assume the message on the phone is from you but they are asking for a password??? Can't figure that one out. Love and miss you.