

I spent the entire day on the island of Corregidor. There were four people going from our hotel and we were told to meet at 6:30 so they could take us to the boat. Well, 7:00 and no other people. Oh, one was having coffee the others were in their room. I am thinking - women and probably on "Filipino Time" - who shows up??? 3 young Air Force pilots...small world, one was from Onalaska.
Anyhow, the day was a scorcher. 90+ and 95 % humidity. I have never seen so many guns in my whole life and realized how little I knew about the fighting that went on there. History buffs...it was great. The island has 200 permanent residents and a hotel for overnight guests. We had lunch at the hotel which broke up the walking, dying from the heat and picture taking. The tour ended with a half hour walk through the tunnel and another recap of the events of WWII. Raining now here - as I was about to set out to find dinner. Tomorrow it is Pagaysan Falls.
Smitty - I took tons of pics of the plane models for you. You would have loved this, though, not the walking.
An aside - the Philippines population is growing so fast that they estimate by 2025 they will not be able to feed all their people. The government is now contemplating a "Population Bill" which though, not limiting, would help families space their children. I am seeing more street people than my last visit. I am also seeing electric Jeepny's - their answer to the fuel problem. By the way - gas is the same here as in Wisconsin when I left.

The American barracks.

Looking down the barrel of the gun.

Looking at the island of Bataan

Fallen heroes statue

War Memorial - the dome is open and the sun shines through onto a monument. The spiral in the background is another monument for the fallen heroes. There were pools surrounding all of these structures, however, they weren't filled with water - puzzling.

The flag that flew over Corregidor - he loved being asked to be in the picture.

The museum that housed all the memorabilia, hand guns, etc. Smitty would have been in heaven here.

General MacArthur - "I Will Return"

Beautiful views

Mile long barracks - longest in the world.
So, is this the island where Grandpa had his picture taken? I did not see the monument where it was soldiers in the water w/General McArthur? The day sounded exhausting,but know you are loving it. Love all of the pictures too. On this island of 200, is there a school? Did Ramon enjoy the tours, or were you totally alone? Love you mom, and miss you. Can't wait for your return and to hear all the stories in person! Kat and I enjoyed Betty Brinn. Her favorite part was delivering all of the mail to the different places and playing "check-out" at the grocery store. She learned how to push her way into tight spaces of kids too. She had it done to her once, and that's all it took for her to mark her territory. She put her hands on her hips and said, "Stop getting on me!" to one boy!
ReplyDeleteMareta, Mike loved the pics. This is such an interesting place and he really digs that. Sorry it is so humid. Funny how one of those guys was from near here. Sure is a small world. Keep enjoying the trip and keep us posted. Love reading and seeing what you are doing. Stay safe. Love, Sue and Mike PS I have the first day scrapped!!
ReplyDeleteWhat an interesting trip you're having, in spite of the high temps and humidity! So happy to be able to follow along!
ReplyDelete