Wednesday, February 12, 2014

YES FOR THE INTERNET

Finally back in Manila proper and have access to an internet connection.
On arrival on the 11th I was whisked away from the airport and driven directly to San Juan, Batangas to attend the funeral of Vilo Ambal, Dr. Singson's younger brother.  I am telling you whisked as Philippine Airlines, after you have been checked in for two hours, decides it is not flying directly to Manila, but they, we are going to stop in Guam first, thus adding three hours to an already long flight.
The funeral was sad.  My friend, Gerry Ramos, called me the "crying lady" - I guess that is a movie where they hired some people to be mourners.  It was just sad to hear the testimonials and experience the traditions associated with a Filipino burial.  I guess my biggest surprise was my speaking during the eulogy part of the mass at the request of Volette.  I walked behind the casket, I sat in the front row as they lowered the casket, threw my flowers into the grave and then sat and watched as the men sealed the crypt with cement and literally hand filled the grave and covered it with the flowers.  Then it was a trip back to Mita's home where a meal was served.  This, mind you, after 3 days, 24 hours a day of receiving condolences at her home with Vilo laying in state in the middle of her living room.
Needless to say we were all exhausted, me from the 2 days of travel and my friends from the long ride back to their home in Antipolo.  It is here I experienced the ride in the Filipino tricycle, a foot massage for $2, a full body massage for $8 and a visit to two beautiful churches, Antipolo Shrine & Our Lady of Good Voyage.  My friends had me apply for the Filipino Senior Citizen Card which will give me 20% discount on my food & some shoppping items.  Guesss they think I am coming here to live.
Right now Jojo and I are waiting for a reasonable hour to call our driver to take us on a tour.  We had to get up at 2am to leave at 3am to get Gerry to the airport in Manila and I can't check into the hotel until noon.  So what do we do???  Decide to go shopping at Greenhills.

2 comments:

  1. Ohhhh Gramma, sounds like you are already exhausted...a few surprises and, huh, a foot massage and body massage total of $10? Fantastic;) we are getting anxious over here...we have confirmed that Thurs will be our special dinner day w/Ampy and Fritzie--both have requested off. I will need some little items (total of 24 toddlers) for the despedida gift bags. Got those and a little snacks. Looking for little safe toys or stickers or play dough for the toddlers, so if you find, please pick them up;)
    Love you and hope for safe travels for us--no extra stops here in Guam we hope!?!? Love you and see you soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will get the little gifts - we are across from all the shopping. Wish I would have known when we went to Greenhills today - loved the place and did a ton of shopping at great prices. My feet are killing me and I am reminded that I need to wear tennis shoes. Just had the best time with Jojo walking, talking and bargaining. Wanted to get a little purse - first place wanted 1500 pesos, but by the time we went through the shops Jojo had my item down to 550. This was the same with all the items purchased. Just fun, fun, fun and I can see why you liked it. Love you, safe travels.

    ReplyDelete