An interesting fact - if you were an instructor at UP you were given a chance to purchase land and then you could build a house. One of Dr. Johnny's sisters taught statistics (my interpretation of the course of study) and took advantage of this offering.
The Filipinos honor their deceased family members through constant care of their grave sites. There were umbrellas situated on the grave sites as a family member clipped (with scissors no less)and tended to the grass, there were chairs surrounding others where quiet meditation/prayers or merienda (a meal) was taking place and there were beautiful floral arrangements to be seen throughout. This is a sight that could never be equaled in the US.
Ramon, my friend and driver here in Manila, picked me up and then delivered me to the hotel where I stayed the night before heading back to Batangas for the start of the mission. The ride gave us a chance to get caught up. He, of course, sends his best to Bob, Alicia (who he loves to call Alice), Dustin and to his Kat Kat - who he hopes he will see when she returns to her homeland for a visit. (Alicia, he like us, wondering where your little one is. He surely feels that Sister Corrie should know this information and I need to make sure I am asking.)
A closing remark - the heat and humidity is taking its toll on all of us. Bob - Ramon loved his Harley cap, why I thought chocolates would be a good idea is beyond me as I am constantly trying to find refrigeration so they don't melt, had to make a trip to Mercury Drug (no Walgreens here) to get my meds which I couldn't find in my suitcase, the HYPERMARKET is what they call our SUPERMARKET and internet acdess on the UP campus was 10 pesos an hour (equivalent to 25 cents).
Happy Father's Day Bob, Kent, Brad, Dustin and all dads everywhere, especially my dad, Jimmy Domingo Aguilar, for without him I don't know if I would have made this heartfelt connection to his homeland.
| The Diliman Seniors |
| Dr. Johnny with his oldest sister |
| The favorite mode of travel - Filipino jeepneys |
No comments:
Post a Comment