Thursday, June 20, 2013

WHEW!!!!

We officially saw 1906 patients on the 2013 Ambal Family Mission.  That was a record and we are thinking that it is because we provided two eye doctors this year.  That meant we gave away 500+ glasses to the residents of Aya barangay.
I keep thinking of all that we have in the US and how much we take for granted.  When we fed the school children, 500+ of them, they were so appreciative of the meal.  "Thank You Po" was such a wonderful thing to hear.  I happened to peek into one of the classrooms and they were packed in - 3 to a desk, desks back to back with no room to move, heat was oppressive and yet they were all crisply dressed in their school uniforms.  A small toy, a ruler - these were joys to them.  For our medical patients, just giving them multi vitamins was a treat, imagine how they felt to get eye glasses that improved their reading.  I have always been a firm believer in "giving back", I have tried hard to instill this in all the little pommers that have crossed my path.  I have always felt such pleasure in giving to others and this trip was no exception.
We visited the mall last night.  This is an experience that would absolutely set many of you over the edge.  It is the loudest thing I have ever heard - each store blasting their music into the mall.  Yes, big rock speakers set outside to make sure their little niche was heard.  For me, it was a stressful situation .  Tons of people, getting out of the heat and I can't forget the security guards positioned on each door of the mall checking your bags as you go in, security guards at the door of each store - so different.
Today we are heading to Villa Escadero, an ecological park.  Still haven't found a computer that will upload my photos - it is a hunt.
Loving the experience and missing my family.




No comments:

Post a Comment